Ever since the first less-than-spectacular playtest of Infinifrag, I’ve always wanted to fix some of the big gameplay flaws and give it another shot. With the end-of-semester RPI ACM/GDC LAN party right around the corner, I figured that I’d dig back into the (ugly) code of Infinifrag and get the game running in time for another playtest at the LAN. Although the game is mostly the same, there are a few large changes:
- Improved network latency via TCP_NODELAY
- No more War/Peace modes; players can build and shoot at any time!
- “Weapon One” set with a much weaker default, requiring players to customize
- “Weapon Two” replaced with Satchel Charge, which can blow up blocks!
- Players now start with a small amount of energy which increases over time and resets when they die